Eligible Applicants: AYPO accepts musicians up to age 21 on strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, harp, and piano. Applicant should have at least two years of experience on the instrument and be currently enrolled in private lessons. AYPO accepts applicants based on their musical ability without regard to gender, race, religion, disability, or income (full and partial scholarships available). All musicians are required to audition each season. Prior membership in AYPO does not guarantee continued membership. Annual open auditions ensure that the most qualified instrumentalists have the opportunity to participate and that AYPO is comprised of the highest quality orchestras.
How to Apply: Complete the online application and submit with non-refundable $40 fee. You can pay the fee online with credit card (Visa or MasterCard; credit card fee included in the $40) or by mail with check made payable to AYPO.
Application Deadline: Submit online by April 1, 2014. Applicant will be notified by email 10 days prior to the audition date as to the specific time for his/her audition as well as the location and directions.
Music Teachers: AYPO created a document that will help you to determine if your musicians are ready to audition at the preparatory level [Download]
About AYPO: Our Mission is to provide the highest quality musical experience that allows our students to grow as musicians and individuals, who then contribute to our nation's cultural landscape, as they become future artistic and community leaders. Our Vision is to become the premier youth orchestra in the nation. Recognized as one of the leading orchestral training programs in the nation, the American Youth Philharmonic Orchestras (AYPO) provides competitive world-class training and performance opportunities for young musicians up to 21 years of age. With a nationally recognized artistic staff, a dedicated professional staff, and a host of volunteers, AYPO annually selects and trains over 400 of the most talented young musicians. Since 1964, AYPO has delivered programs of the highest caliber to young musicians and audiences throughout the Washington metropolitan region, earning an unrivaled reputation for excellence and distinction.
The organization administers four youth orchestras (visit www.aypo.org/events for examples of repertoire performed by each orchestra). The orchestras rehearse weekly on Monday evenings from September through May and present a season of at least nine concerts annually.
• American Youth Philharmonic (AYP): AYP is composed of the organization's most accomplished young musicians and has received wide critical acclaim for its professional sound and interpretation. AYP collaborates with numerous world-renowned soloists and is the flagship orchestra. Repertoire: advanced symphonic literature including 20th and 21st century compositions and commissioned works by contemporary composers.
• American Youth Symphonic Orchestras (AYSO): AYSO is composed of advanced musicians who perform challenging repertoire of the highest caliber. Repertoire: standard symphonic literature.
• American Youth Concert Orchestra (AYCO): AYCO is a full symphonic training orchestra composed of experienced young musicians. Emphasis: developing ensemble skills and reinforcing individual and fundamental performance technique. Repertoire: symphonic and arrangements of original works targeted to developing ensembles.
• American Youth String Ensemble (AYSE): AYSE provides young string musicians their first exposure to ensemble playing at high levels of performance. Musicians focus on the relationship between the various string parts, accurate rhythm and tempi, tone color, and orchestral procedure. Repertoire: string orchestra works and arrangements of standard symphonic literature.
• Educational Opportunities: In addition to the core orchestral program, AYPO runs several education and outreach programs which benefit the surrounding community, including the Chamber Ensemble Program and the Music Buddies Mentorship Program.
Page last updated: March 5, 2013 10:03 AM